Thursday, September 5, 2019

Zolatone Paint


Excitement builds as I prepare to apply the finish coat of paint to the inside of the Airstream. 


This Zolatone spatter finish was my first choice, as it closely resembles the Airstream's original finish. However, I do not own the equipment necessary to apply that particular spray paint, and after looking at it for some time, I found it to be too busy.


Zolatone also offers a rolled-on finish called Flex Dimensions. It comes in multiple colors that are similar in style to the spatter finish.  
I chose Zolatone Interior Coatings - Flex Dimensions FLX-02463 (https://www.zolatone.com/finishes/).  
The paint company provided me a sample of this stock color. The paint has multiple flecks of gray spattered over a light white background. Here my flooring sample is on the bottom and the provided stock paint sample is on top.  The background is the primer-painted trailer wall. I decided to proceed with ordering the paint.


The actual process to order my paint was not as easy as I assumed. After several conversations with company representatives, I was finally able to place my order. It arrived quickly, but the sample supplied with my actual order was different than the original sample. Hence the trouble with samples! Here is a picture of the new sample supplied that was shipped with my order.  
I would have preferred to have more flecks of color like the original sample.


Here is a picture of my floor sample (middle) with the first stock color sample on top and the second color sample supplied with my order on the bottom.  The difference between the two samples must be the difference between "in stock" products and "new production" products when an order is fulfilled.  


Zolatone Flex Dimensions roll-on is a two coat process.  The base coat is applied first with a good quality roller.  It provides an eggshell surface to which the top coat can properly adhere.  The top coat containing the color flecks is applied second with foam-type rollers supplied by the company.


The base coat was applied using a 9-inch roller, a 2-inch roller, and a paint brush for cutting in.
I used two gallons of base coat.


The top coat was applied the next day using the supplied foam-type rollers. 
I used almost 3 gallons of top coat. 


The kitchen overhead cupboard was painted in like manner.


The end product is subtle, but it will be easy to coordinate interior decor.
I am very pleased with Zolatone paint.  It is very good at covering the surface imperfections, and it appears to be very tough and durable.  I would definitely use it again.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your post. So flex is usable for interior of trailer. My project https://www.facebook.com/1960Odyssey/ needs to have interior lid sprayed. Which I can do.

    ReplyDelete