Tuesday, November 12, 2013



More frame work.

After the frame came home from the welder's shop I had an opportunity to add a few additional items.
The step support rails needed to be repaired.  I fabricated two new supports with slide channels cut in.  The actual step itself was in good shape but rusty.



New supports fabricated for the step.


New safety chains were added.


Safety chains with new jack support plates.

Frame Painting.

Once the welding chores were completed the frame needed to be prepared for painting.  I used "Marine Clean" to remove the grease and oil from the metal.  It really worked well to strip the oil from the new metal and the grease from the old metal.  I used a small sprayer to coat all the surfaces with "Marine Clean".   It was allowed to stand for the prescribed amount of time and then it was rinsed off using clear water.


Metal Preparation.


"Marine Clean" application.




I wanted to spray both the top and bottom of the fram.  Moving it around upside down was fun (Rotisserie).


Clean water rinse process using a garden hose.


Next came the preparation of the metal to accept paint.  The spray process again was used to apply " Metal Prep and Ready". 


The product dried with a white color ready for paint to "grip" the metal.


The frame was suspended from my barn trusses using two chain hoists.  
The process allowed access to all angles of the frame to apply paint.


"Rotisserie"


Painting day.

I used "Por-15" black paint to coat the frame.  Hopefully, it will stop rust for another 54 years.
The product needs to be applied "as indicated" on the directions.  I am very impressed with this paint and would not hesitate to use it again.



By hanging the frame from the rafters I was able to paint the frame using a paint brush to get paint on all surfaces with a minimum of runs.  Spraying is not recommended.



The frame looked great when all painted.



Wheel Wells.

What to do about the old wheel wells?  
The old ones were rusted out, damaged and basically useless.
After much research, I decided to make new ones. 


I purchased aluminum from a roofing and gutter supply manufacturer in the area.  The metal was painted brown on one side and virgin green on the other.  It was thick enough  to suit me for replacement wheel wells.  A metal brake was used to bend everything to needed specifications (my own design).  

I purchased a new rivet gun from "Vintage Trailer Supply."  I will "buck rivet" the pieces together.
This is going to be fun!


My math skills were involved to fashion these beauties.
The old ones had round curves.


Learning to "buck" rivets was easy and fun!


I used 1 inch aluminum angle to rivet the aluminum pieces together.



Grey tank installation and wheel well installation.

Grey tanks were purchased from "Vintage Trailer Supply" with openings already installed.  They were fitted into the frame rails near the wheels and secured with bottom supports.  Plumbing routes were then selected.  Hopefully, my advance planning will pay off later.


Wheel wells looking good!


Tanks and wheel wells in place.


Plumbing will be routed through cross members.  Holding tank hangers will be fashioned so that nothing will extend below the frame members.  A smooth belly plan is planned to maintain the vintage look.



Wheel wells were fabricated to match the overall dimensions of the old ones.  They will be covered up on the inside of the trailer by "inner" fender wells and not visible.  They needed to protect the trailer from water on the underside and to be sturdy enough to provide protection from a possible tire failure. The old ones were very thin and rusted out (galvanized metal).  They were used for patterns and then discarded.