Tuesday, December 31, 2013


The new floor was bolted down using “elevator bolts.”  

I used  and a "forstner" bit to countersink the bolt heads into the plywood.

Aluminum was installed on top of the frame but under the floor at the step.

This area of the floor will be exposed and will need protection from the elements.

Improvement here.

Wally Byam’s familiar refrain, “Let’s not make changes, let’s make only improvements.” 

I designed an “improvement” on the floor edge.  I incorporated an “L” shaped aluminum piece that attaches to the bottom of the floor and onto the outside of the “C” channel.  My reasoning for this was to add strength to the “C” channel for holding the body down and for protection of the plywood edge of the floor.

"L" shape attached to the floor.

"L" shape attached to radius curves.

I made pie cuts every 2 inches along the bottom of the “L” shape to help wrap around the radius curves.  Steel screws with neoprene washers were used to attach the “L” shape to the bottom edge of the radius floor curves both in the front and rear floor areas. 

"C" channel sitting on top of the floor.  The "L" shape fitted below the floor and against the "C" channel.

"L" shape attached to outrigger and bolted to floor.  Plastic washers and plastic film were used to insulate the steel bolts.

The “L” shaped piece is held in place along the sides of the trailer with bolts through the “C” channel and outriggers.  In between each outrigger, bolts and plastic washers were installed on the bottom side of the floor to help hold the “L” channel in place and to provide the intended strength and protection. 

The steel frame comes into contact with aluminum in several areas and needs to be insulated to avoid dissimilar metal corrosion. Throughout the frame attach points I used a polyurethane caulk “Vulkem” sealant, thin plastic sheet material and plastic washers to provide a barrier between  those dissimilar metals.

Steel and aluminum insulation point at end of outriggers.

New aluminum installed under the step was also insulated against steel frame using rubberized tape.

New steel plate up front!

Notice the new steel plate in front of the floor area.  It is a standard item on this trailer and was used to securely fasten the body to the floor and to distribute the twisting forces over a wide area of the front of trailer.  I installed a new, over sized plate and bolted it to the frame under the floor instead of on top of the wood floor. The old one was severely rusted out from a leaking window.

It is almost time to invert the chassis (Rotisserie) for the last time.  Insulation and plumbing will be needed before the new belly pan goes on.

It is very cold outside and progress will slow down.

No comments:

Post a Comment